- Smart Processes
- Smart Systems
- Smart Devices
- Smart Data
Move towards Lean Operations with Robotic Process Automation
~ Rajesh Agarwal - SVP & Head - Process Engineering Cell (RPA Expert)
Smart is getting equated with Lean. Enterprises are thinking smart in order to fuel growth through lean operations. Enterprises need to stay agile and competitive and hence they are endeavoring towards lean operations and reducing their operational expenditure is becoming imperative. In both the developed and developing countries the growth is slowing down due to various geo-political reasons. This factor is compelling enterprises to reduce their operational costs in order to see any sustainable increase in their year-on-year revenue. They need to strive for simplicity of operations, adopt lean practices, and automate processes. Robotic Process Automation (RPA), a business accelerator, is imparting the much needed simplicity and automation of tasks towards a lean work culture.
- Process Automation: RPA imparts your computer software applications the power to emulate the human decision making and the human actions required for conducting tedious and repetitive tasks. At the same time, RPA imparts the much needed scalability to these applications to accommodate varying amounts of workloads.
- Simplicity in Operations: The RPA technology brings in the much needed simplicity of operations by making tedious processes accurate, faster, and user-friendly. It enables two-way transfer of information between any two systems without an API. It uses a hybrid approach and simplifies processes by using machine learning, rules, and content analytics.
- Lean Practices: RPA along with optical character recognition (OCR) streamlines tedious and lengthy processes and brings out the efficacy by digitizing piles of paper work. It interacts with existing software at graphic user interface level with least changes to the underlying systems. RPA is interoperable with existing enterprise systems and legacy systems and extends the functionality of these systems while reducing the need for expensive upgrades.
RPA increases the productivity of an enterprise by >50%. They provide 24x7 service, accuracy, flexibility, and thorough compliance.
- 24x7 service: RPA can work in the background in a 24x7 mode as far as the source and target are defined and with least supervision. The uninterrupted service goes on round the clock as long as the computer’s central processing unit, servers, and the electric power source is up and functioning.
- Accuracy: RPA provides 100% accuracy in the work processing. The work is ~95% accurate as compared to human processing. The technology eliminates rework and provides leeway to human resources to focus on more trickier issues that truly require intervention.
- Flexibility: RPA solutions can be easily scaled-up and scaled-down as per the crests and troughs experienced in the work loads. The flexible and modular approach helps an enterprise to stay lean by maintaining the optimum amount of resources.
- Compliance: RPA solutions always follow a step by step approach defined in the standard operating procedures with an ensured data log that gets generated in the background. This proves immensely helpful as far as statutory audits are concerned along with key accountability and authentication at the employee level.
Smart business operations are the need of the hour. Today, maintaining low operational costs has become important when growth and in turn the gross domestic product value is declining. Innovative enterprises keep on creating value by offering cost efficient novel solutions. They try to maintain an edge over competition by offering lower price for value added products. In this scenario, technologies such as RPA allow enterprises to stay competitive by moving towards a lean operating structure.